[O] babel :results output and format of output

From: D M German
Subject: [O] babel :results output and format of output
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 02:50:13 -0800

hi everybody,

I have been testing babel with perl and I am very puzzled by the
following:

Say I have the following script that outputs 10 numbers. org/babel wraps
it as a begin_example

#+begin_src perl :results output
for (my $i=0;$i<10;$i++) {
  print "$i\n";
}
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
#+end_example

But if my script only outputs 9 lines then the format is not wrapped by
#+begin_example, and instead is prefixed by :

#+begin_src perl :results output
for (my $i=0;$i<9;$i++) {
  print "$i\n";
}
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 0
: 1
: 2
: 3
: 4
: 5
: 6
: 7
: 8

Is this behaviour expected? Is the threshold at which it happens
configurable?

thanks a lot for your help,

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German                  "In questions of science the authority of
                                   a thousand is not worth the humble