Re: [O] Bug in behavior of M-RET with latest Org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug in behavior of M-RET with latest Org-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 00:39:05 -0500

John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> In Org I've liked that fact that hitting M-RET in a list of headlines which
> have no intervening whitespace, will add a new headline without whitespace.
> Example:
>
>     * One
>     * Two<cursor>
>     * Three
>
> If hit M-RET at the <cursor>, I'll would get:
>
>     * One
>     * Two
>     * <cursor>
>     * Three
>
> With the latest Org, I get:
>
>     * One
>     * Two
>     * <cursor>
>
>     * Three
>
> Is this just a regression, or has the core behavior been changed to do this?
> Is there a new variable I need to tweak to get the old behavior?

Actually, with the default (`auto') setting of the variable I indicated
in my previous email (`org-blank-before-new-entry'), I get the first
behavior, not the second.

The only problem is that when I insert the first headline, it gets
inserted after an empty first line, so adding a second headline fools
the auto setting into thinking I want empty lines between headings. But
if I delete the empty first line, M-RET never puts any empty lines between
headings. So the heuristic might not be perfect, but it seems to work for
all but the first headline.

Nick