Re: [O] pxref in texinfo export

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] pxref in texinfo export
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:32:48 -0500

Hello Tom,

On 25 February 2013 12:52, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
Aloha all,

IIUC, there is currently no support for @pxref{} in the texinfo
exporter.  This is a texinfo @-command that does one thing in the info
output and another in the LaTeX output.

Ultimately there is actually no real difference between "see @ref{}"
and "@pxref{}".  I just checked using the first @pxref{} in org.texi
(Under Activation).

In org.texi it is shown as (@pxref{Conflicts}), in org.html it
becomes: (see <a href="" while in the info
file (org) it is shown as (*note Conflicts::).

Opening the info file in Info (C-u C-h i <path to info file>), *node
Conflicts:: becomes "see Conflicts".  Adding "see" manually
before *note does not change the output.  The same is the case for
@xref{}.  @xref{} adds "See" before the link in html/LaTeX, and
uses *Note in the info document; "See [[link]]" produces the same See in
html/LaTeX, and creates "See *note" in the info file (which is
inserted as "See <link>" in Emacs Info.

Yes the output is different if looking at the info file directly,
however when viewing it withing Emacs the text is consistent.

I didn't implement support for @xref{} or @pxref{} in the texinfo
exporter, because I could not find a way to reliably determine the
context so as to use the right type of link in the texi file.

Using occur there were already 47 cases in org.texi where "[Ss]ee
@ref" was used rather than the stylistically appropriate @pxref/@xref.

Regards,

Jon

My idea is to create a custom link type, something like this:

(org-add-link-type
   "pxref" nil
   (lambda (path desc format)
     (cond
      ((eq format 'html)
       (format "<span class=\"pxref\">%s</span>" path))
      ((eq format 'latex)
       (format "\\ref{%s}" path))
      ((eq format 'texinfo)
       (format "@pxref{%s,%s}" path desc)))))

I haven't tested this, but it should export approximately correctly and
I'm confident I can get the export part working.

What I can't figure out is how to have Org recognize that a link like
this:

[[pxref:Internal link]]

is really an internal link, rather than an external link.  I'd like to
be able to click on this and end up at <<Internal link>> in the Org
buffer.

Is this possible?  If so, can you point me to a solution?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813