Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:53:16 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> The point of having the new macro is to avoid the question about
> reverting the file when the file visited by a buffer has been edited
> outside Emacs.  You can do exactly the same changes (cosmetic or not)
> with both macros, but org-unmodified will ask you when the file and the
> buffer have diverged due to the file changing outside Emacs.  You
> shouldn't do this of course unless you know with certainty that you are
> never going to save the file.  There's another difference between these
> two: org-unmodified does not let you change read-only buffers (I don't
> know if that's intentional or not).  With all this said, the
> compatibility part of org-with-silent-modifications can't simply be
> plugging in org-unmodified (this loses functionality that presumably was
> needed).  The change to make from the implementation I gave would be
> losing the let-bindings for buffer-file-name buffer-file-truename and
> perhaps inhibit-read-only.

I don't think Org should do better than Emacs wrt files that are
marked as unmodified while they have been edited outside Emacs.

In such cases, Emacs simply ignore external modifications when
saving, and warn the user before editing.  That's the same for
agenda files: you'll be warned before editing them (switching
a TODO, etc.) and not warned when saving unmodified Org agenda
files.

--
 Bastien