Re: [O] [HTML] subtree export reverted back to absolute H level behavior

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [HTML] subtree export reverted back to absolute H level behavior
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:52:56 +0100

Hello,

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> The old exporter had a bug where exporting a subtree would start H
> levels at the level in the file.
>
> Thus, the top level being exported could be H8 if it were indented to
> that level.  Or H38 if it were indented to that level.
>
> IMO better behavior is relative.
>
> ===
>
> The new exporter seemed to fix this, but it seems to have gone back to
> the old behavior in a recent commit on git master.
>
> It is excellent to make the new emulate the old as much as possible;
> this reduces bugs and impact on people.  But does anybody rely on
> absolute levels for subtree export?  My guess would be no, but I could
> be wrong.
>
> ===
>
> Recent commit caused this change in output:
>
> -<h3 id="sec-1">An intriguing and fun question</h3>
> +<h7 id="sec-0-0-0-0-1">An intriguing and fun question</h7>
>
> Hope I've not misunderstood something here.  I can't run the
> dispatcher directly because I get other issues.

It would help to see your test file. For example, in the following Org buffer,

  * Level 1
  ** Level 2
  *** Level 3
  **** Level 4
  ***** Level 5
  ****** Level 6

exporting subtree with point on "Level 4" will result as <h2>Level
5</h2> and <h3>Level 6</h3>, which is correct.

I think your file is more like the following:

  * Something
  ** An intriguing and fun question
  ****** An intriguing and fun question

I.e. you skipped levels in your file. Then, numbering indeed skips
parts. So to put it differently, level is relative to the lowest level
among exported headline (it will always be 1), thereafter, it is
absolute.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou