Re: [O] [bug] Inline tasks are exported, even with noexport tag

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] Inline tasks are exported, even with noexport tag
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:01:35 +0100

Hello Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> The following ECM fails on 2 fronts:
>>
>> - the `noexport' tag on the inline task is not respected;
>
> Should it?

Well, it previously did. And that's pretty interesting: you can put "private"
inline blocks, and have them exported or not, depending of the target of your
document.

> Inlinetasks are not headlines, even though they use a somewhat similar
> syntax. :noexport: tag applies to trees. Inlinetasks do not define a tree.

For me, inline tasks were (up to now) exactly like trees but with an end, and
their contents was inline in the current entry, without disrupting the outline
structure.

We could use them to mirror "note" or "warning" blocks or paragraphs we find
in all books, and that in a portable manner (regarding the multi-backends).

As (I understood that) they were like headlines, we could anything like for
real headlines:

- adding tags
- adding TODO keywords
- adding drawers
- adding clocking information
- etc.

Is this not right anymore?

> More generally, `org-export-with-tasks', `org-export-select-tags' and
> `org-export-exclude-tags' only apply on headlines.

I understand there is a "yes for all" / "no for all" switch, but the ability
to mark some of the inline blocks NOT for export is a functionality which,
IMHO, we should avoid to drop.

> On the other hand, `org-export-with-inlinetasks' allows you to ignore
> inlinetasks completely during export. For conditional export, you may
> also want to look at drawers, which can be included/excluded by their
> name.

If inline tasks can or should be replaced by drawers, what is their use, then?
What remains as their fundamental reason of living?

I'd like that to be clarified for my own understanding.

>> - the exported contents (because of the previous item) is not compilable in
>>   LaTeX (maybe the default in `org-latex-inlinetask' is not generic enough
>> for
>>   handling such a content, or there are restrictions on the contents of
>> inline
>>   tasks which I did not respect?)
>
> From the Org POV, you can put anything in an inlinetask excepted another
> inlinetask and a headline.
>
> `latex' backend puts contents within \fbox and a \minipage environments.
> It's possible that verbatim is not allowed within one of them, I didn't
> check. It's quite difficult to come up with something visually different
> and yet general enough. You can also use
> `org-latex-format-inlinetask-function'.

I'll give a look, thanks.

Best regards,
  Seb