Re: [O] Tips for using orgmode + ledger to record events?

From: Viktor Rosenfeld
Subject: Re: [O] Tips for using orgmode + ledger to record events?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 19:25:32 +0100

Hi Eric,

thanks for explaining your structure.

Eric S Fraga wrote:

> I don't use capture templates; I manually enter the information.  I did
> use to use capture but found it too clumsy for my setup (or I was never
> able to suss out how to define the right capture templates).  I don't
> reconcile using ledger.  I do reconciliation manually by visual
> inspection.  Reconciliation is not a big issue for me.  My main use of
> ledger is simply to keep track of where my money is (or isn't, as the
> case may be ;-).

Reconcilation (using ledger-mode) is an important part of my
weekly/monthly workflow and I think you need an actual ledger file to do
it. I imagine that one can manually check the balances with the help of
a few reports, but I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup.

It's interesting that you found capture templates clumsy. I don't use
them right now, but was thinking about using them to record recurring
information. Right now, I do this manually each month while reconciling
my bank account.

Thanks again,
Viktor