Re: [O] Org-mode latex pdf export issue: Underlined lines not breaking p

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode latex pdf export issue: Underlined lines not breaking properly
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:02:48 +0100

Hello Sanjib,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 06:55:36PM +0530, Sanjib Sikder wrote:

> If you feel that the problem is not related to org-mode, then ignore this
> email and thanks for your time and patience.

It is indeed a LaTeX issue!  And I have an answer too :).  Org mode
translates _underlined text_ to \underline{underlined text}, however if
you read the TeX.sx question referenced below you will see that it
doesn't support line breaks and the TeX community recommends \uline{..}
from the ulem package.

  <http://TeX.stackexchange.com/a/13382/4416>

For now you can write a filter to alter the LaTeX source[1]; for the
long haul you should start a separate thread asking to change the
defaults in Org mode.  However I'm not sure if that is desirable since
it introduces an extra LaTeX package dependency to handle corner cases.

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] A nice example can be found here:
    <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#sec-2-3>