Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:16:39 +0100

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> I suspect you may be targeting the wrong layer.  Don't we want to use
> org-link-protocols, not org-link-abbrev-alist?  Protocols are already
> handled by the exporter, so there should be no need for a change like
> this one:
> [...]

I want to allow adding link protocols (what I called "adding link
types") from #+LINK.

>> Nicolas, do you think it is feasible/good to delay link expansion
>> till the backend knows whether the abbreviated link is associated
>> to follow/export function that would understand formatting strings
>> in the abbreviated form?
>
> My proposal works without any changes to the exporter's structure
> (except adding the #+BIBLIOGRAPHY keyword, which is a one-line
> emendation).  It does not allow the equivalent of your "#+LINK:
> bib:%s;%s;%s" for specifying the pre/post delimiters, but maybe it
> would be better from a standardization-of-syntax point of view to have
> just one way of encoding them?

IIUC your proposal introduces some syntactic glue here:
[[type:key;pre;post][desc]]
          ^   ^

If we allow this, it's better to allow this in general than just for a
specific link type.  Hence my proposal to extend link abbreviation to
be recognized as new link types when the #+LINK line contains more
than two strings.

See for example this new link type (or "protocol"):

#+LINK: with-title::%s http://orgmode.org/worg/doc.html# nil
org-html-link-with-title

  [[with-title::org-mode::A link title][org-mode]]

org-html-link-with-title would then take care of exporting this
as a link like <a href="..." title="A link title">org-mode</a>.

There are really two changes here:

1. extending #+LINK so that the third and fourth strings are
   recognized as follow and export functions

2. extending #+LINK so that a formatting string in the link
   abbreviation name is handle later on by those functions.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien