Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:06:14 +0200

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:18:19 +0400
>
> >> I like the idea of stripping big bundled packages (like org, gnus,
> >> cedet, maybe even tramp, if that's possible).
> >
> > That would certainly mean more problems for users to set them up with
> > a particular version of Emacs, because there's no longer a clear way
> > of getting the version of package X that correspond to Emacs version
> > N.M.
>
> There won't be such correspondence.

And therein lies the problem.

> AFAIK, all 4 packages I mentioned above maintain backward compatible
> codebases, so it's not like they depend on the latest Emacs.

When I install a package, I usually want its latest *stable* version
that is compatible with the Emacs version I run.  As great as
compatibility stuff is, I trust testing more, as I need to do
something each day that doesn't involve debugging Emacs and my other
tools.

Also think about various package managers for GNU/Linux distros, which
need to specify on what version of Emacs package X depends.