Re: [O] (no subject)

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 13:39:42 -0700

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hmm, AFAIS trouble might occur only if someone tries to load a
>> non-default --i.e. not-starred-- org-file while the default is
>> active.
>
> ... or if someone shares a file online using non-star character
> as the prefix for headlines: this file won't be processed by
> Org tools like org-ruby and the like.
>
>> But even then it's quite easy to write a guess, which might start if
>> org-mode didn't encounter the stars where expected.
>
> Org files are not just for Emacs, that's were the problem lies...

I don't understand this heavy-handed approach.

Plain text is great because I can do whatever I want.  What I come up
with might not work correctly in other tools (or anything at all), but I
have the freedom to do interesting things, and to have my files look
just the way I want them to.

Emacs is great because it allows me the freedom of near-infinite
customization.  It has sensible defaults, but it allows me to break
things however I want.

Org, on the other hand, seems to be moving away from that in many ways.
Headlines must start with stars because I might someday post something
on the web and it wouldn't work for someone else?  Other tools might not
recognize my file correctly?  A developer of some other tool might
someday have a problem?  These are not good reasons for limiting what I
can do with my own Org files.

I don't need or want supervision in how I create my files.  I want
freedom.  If I wanted supervision, I wouldn't be using Emacs.  Have you
seen the lisp posted to the web?  Somehow, Emacs and I survive that.

Org started as a great tool that let me do cool things with my text
files.  I don't want to see it change to a rigid format for me to force
my files into, where my only options are conform or leave.

Org should err on the side of user freedom.

IMHO,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey