Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [O] org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:18:19 +0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>> address@hidden,  Leo Liu <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 13:25:16 +0400
>>
>> address@hidden writes:
>> > Just a small reminder of the idea Stefan sometimes drops in these
>> > discussions:
>> > - Emacs "trunk" could be stripped of all but the bare essentials to
>> > achieve bootstrap.
>>
>> I like the idea of stripping big bundled packages (like org, gnus,
>> cedet, maybe even tramp, if that's possible).
>
> That would certainly mean more problems for users to set them up with
> a particular version of Emacs, because there's no longer a clear way
> of getting the version of package X that correspond to Emacs version
> N.M.

There won't be such correspondence. AFAIK, all 4 packages I mentioned
above maintain backward compatible codebases, so it's not like they
depend on the latest Emacs.

And if some do, package.el allows to specify the minimal Emacs version
in the "Package-Requires" header. It just might use some improvement in
the error message when this dependency is not satisfied.

So, users of all versions of Emacs would use the same latest stable
Gnus, Org and CEDET, as long as the packages maintain backward
compatibility. That would create some pressure to upgrade old Emacs
versions, though (as long as ELPA repositories only contain the latest
versions of packages), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.