Re: [O] Quotes not being converted correctly for LaTeX export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Quotes not being converted correctly for LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:03:10 +0100

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The only problem is when user doesn't load Babel at all, but still wants
>> to use smart quotes. Is it meaningful?
>
> It is not meaningful but it is now the default,

Actually, as Suvayu Ali suggested, it is meaningful only in the default
case, which is no Babel package and English language.

As soon as you tweak either LANGUAGE keyword or
`org-export-default-language', you must use Babel.

> this is what needs to be fixed. Either by not using smart-quotes by
> default, or by letting the user what to do. I prefer the second
> solution :)

Smart-quotes works by heuristics. It will fail in some cases. That's why
I think it shouldn't be on by default (even in latex back-end). Also,
smart quotes can be turned on/off at will, so the user can decide what
to do.

It just a problem of providing sensible defaults. The old exporter
provided smart quotes by default in LaTeX, as you know. I'm not sure it
is a good move, but at least, it is consistent with the previous
implementation.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou