Re: [O] GFDL

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [O] GFDL
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:43:40 +1100

On 10/03/13 02:11, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On 9.3.2013, at 16:02, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:

Carsten Dominik writes:
I am wondering, are we required to include the full text of the GFDL
in the manual?  I find it a big waste of space and feed that a link
should do.  But I have not been able to find the rules that say what
needs to be included in a document distributed under GFDL?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.html

"To use this License in a document you have written, include a copy of
the License in the document and put the following copyright and license
notices just after the title page:[…]"

I read this: If there's just one document, it must contain the license
in full, if there are several that reference each other, it is enough to
include it in the top-level document.

Yes it sounds like it.  Thank you for the link.

I still think it is crazy to add these 8 pages to each time someone prints
it....

Regards

- Carsten

I also think it is crazy, and I don't think it is necessary. Although the FSF might prefer you to include the whole licence, in my opinion there is no need to do so. The manual is released under the GFDL and so is subject to the terms of the license.

In my view, this statement from Creative Commons is accurate:

"How can I license my work?

There is no registration to use the Creative Commons licenses.

Licensing a work is as simple as selecting which of the six licenses best meets your goals, and then marking your work in some way so that others know that you have chosen to release the work under the terms of that license."

The important part here is that "others know", that is, it must be very clear that the manual is released subject to the GFDL. As a courtesy, a link to the GFDL or including a copy as part of the package might be nice.

Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:address@hidden