Re: [O] [RFC] Org version of the Org manual

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org version of the Org manual
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:24:22 +0100

Thomas S. Dye writes:
> That works nicely.  I found the error and orgmanual.pdf is now produced
> without errors.

Progress! :-)

With the current version from git I cannot export to texinfo
successfully, though, I get this error near the end of the export:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  string-match("\\`[ \n.]+" nil) (if (string-match "\\`[ \n.]+" s)
  (setq s (replace-match "" t t s))) org-trim(nil) (concat "address@hidden "
  (if tag desc) "\n" (org-trim contents) "\n") (let* ((tag
  (org-element-property :tag item)) (desc (org-export-data tag info)))
  (concat "address@hidden " (if tag desc) "\n" (org-trim contents) "\n"))
  org-texinfo-item((item (:bullet "- " :begin 41929 :end 42016
  :contents-begin 42016 :contents-end 42016 :checkbox nil :counter nil
  :hiddenp outline :structure ((40825 2 "- " nil nil "@@info:@kbd{@@C-c
  /@@info:}@@, ~org-sparse-tree~" 41031) (41031 2 "- " nil nil
  "@@info:@kbd{@@C-c / r@@info:}@@, ~org-occur~" 41929) (41929 2 "- "
  nil nil "@@info:@kbd{@@M-g n@@info:}@@ or @@info:@kbd{@@M-g
  M-n@@info:}@@, ~next-error~" 42016))…

This may actually a bug in the texinfo exporter.

> Is the html version of the Org manual generated from the .texi source?
> If so, could you show me how to augment Makefile so the html
> document is generated by `make orgmanual'?  I want to check if the html
> document looks reasonable.

I've extended the Makefile to approximate the one in doc/, HTML is
produced both via makeinfo and as an export via ox-html.  To proceed in
an orderly manner and prepare for an eventual integration into Org, can
you please do the following in your Org clone:

git checkout master
git checkout -b orgmanual master
git submodule add https://github.com/tsdye/orgmanual.git
git commit -am 'make orgmanual/ a submodule'

cd orgmanual
git checkout -b orgmanual master
git am orgmanual.patch

cd ..
git commit -am 'update submodule orgmanual'
git am org.patch

If you are unsure about any of this, please ask.  You can now edit/add
these lines

.PHONY: orgmanual
EXTRADIRS=orgmanual
orgmanual:
        $(MAKE) -C $@

to the top of your local.mk and should now be able to do a "make
orgmanual".  Which types of documentation are produced can be controlled
with ORG_MAKE_DOC (default is "info pdf html"), just like for the
official manuals.  Also, "make cleanall" will now clean up in orgmanual
also.  BTEST_POST should be configured to have a load-path pointing to a
sufficiently advanced htmlize version for the HTML export.

> My next step will be to bring orgmanual up-to-date with the changes
> that have been made to org.texi since I started the translation several
> months ago.

I'm not envious…

Regards,
Achim.