Re: [O] Meaning of install

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Meaning of install
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:46:51 -0400

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:

> Aloha Achim and Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala,
>
> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> It seems clear to me that `install' is being used in two different senses
> >> here.  I'd like to disambiguate--can someone suggest a concise way to do
> >> this?
> >
> > Using Org from Git can be done in two fundamentally different ways:
> >
> >  a) using the worktree directly as your installation,
> >
> >  b) using it as the source for an installation in a different place.
> >
> > Installation is used here in the sense that your Emacs runs the
> > "installed" code.
>
> Yes, I think this structure needs to be reflected more clearly in the
> manual.  I'll propose some new language when I get back to this.

Now that it's available, the "make install" method should probably be
described first in the documentation as the preferred method: it is
appropriate for the great majority of cases (Achim would probably say
"all cases").

Using the worktree is for diehard tinkerers, or old farts like me who
did it this way long before there was a build system and now don't want
to change our ossified ways.

> In the meantime, one more question. What are the considerations for the
> location of the worktree? If possible, I think it would be a good idea
> for the manual to make a recommendation for the worktree location and
> also provide a suitable warning about where *not* to put the worktree,
> if needed.

Like *any* worktree, It should be under one's home directory.

Nick