Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:11:06 -0600

Thomas Alexander Gerds <address@hidden> writes:

> Using the silent option together with a remote R session block (started
> via ssh.el and ess-remote), like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R  :results silent :exports results  :session *ssh gauss* :cache
> yes
> a=1
> 1
> #+END_SRC
>
> produces:
>
> ,----
> | > Warning message:
> | In file.rename(tfile, transfer.file) :
> |   cannot rename file '/tmp/RtmpQwlyCf/file7c9b78867f6c' to
> | /tmp/babel-4977UIT/R-4977ucf', reason 'No such file or directory'
> | >
> `----
>
> and emacs freezes. No big deal because C-g gets me out of it, but
> slightly annoying.
>
> with `:results output' instead of `:results: silent' everything works
> fine.

Are you sure this problem is related to the ":results silent" header
argument?  I would expect this problem to arise *any* time results are
requested from a remove R session.  This is because R and Emacs use the
file system to hand results back and forth, and when the R session
refers to a remote file system, this communication fails.

One possible solution would be to use the :dir header argument to
specify to the code block the machine on which the execution is taking
place.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte