Re: [O] A mix of habits and effort estimates?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] A mix of habits and effort estimates?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:13:19 +0100

Hi Marcin,

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Dnia 2013-03-16, o godz. 22:59:18
> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> napisał(a):
>> Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> > As I mentioned (though only in the subject), yes. This is close,
>> > but my point is not "I want to do this at least once each three
>> > days" or something like this, but rather "I want to spend at least
>> > 180 minutes every week on this" - regardless of days. Of course, I
>> > could do it with the habits module (and if there's no other
>> > solution, I will do it like this), but what I'd like to have is
>> > actually a mixture of habits and effort estimates/clocking.
>>
>> No problem for that.
>>
>> - For the sake of facility, give a unique tag to your "educational"
>> task
>>
>> - Clock to your task each time you work on it
>>
>> - Whenever you want to check whether you did work enough or not,
>> launch the agenda view for the current week (`v w' in case you say
>> the current day by default)
>>
>> - Ask for the display of the clock report (`C-u R')
>>
>> - Filter on your educational task
>
> Thanks, that is brilliant!  It is /almost/ what I was looking for.
> (One thing that is missing might be fancy coloring, say red for things
> I devoted too little time to etc.  I guess this might be actually
> implemented using properties and some hooks - I'll try to look into it
> some day.)  Now I only need to automate it (which should be easy with
> custom agenda views, I guess.)  Thanks!

Automate it: yes, go for custom agenda view.

Re: colors, one way is to put an effort on the task, and you'll see your
consumption regarding that cut-off value; whenever you're above it, your
clocked time becomes red.

Limitation: the effort is supposed to represent a big total or a daily amount
(see property ":CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL: today"). Though, there is no such thing
for a weekly limit.

Best regards,
  Seb

--