Re: [O] python sessions

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] python sessions
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:04:13 -0500

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> wrote:
> I must be failing to understand something.  I'm running Emacs 24.3 on
> Windows, with latest trunk org-mode.  I can't get python functions to
> persist across blocks in session mode.  Here's my foo.org:
>
> ===============
>
> * My Document
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results output :session
> def foo(x):
>   return x+1
> print "hi"
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : hi
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results output :session
> print foo(100)
> print "bye"
> #+END_SRC
>
> ========================
>
> In session mode, shouldn't foo be defined in the second python block?  When
> I export this, I get "NameError: name 'foo' is not defined"
>
> I may be doing something wrong, because if I name my python session, I never
> see a buffer of that name, and I expected to.  Any help?
>
> --
> Gary

You should probably post your babel configuration from .emacs. This
works for me (mostly). I'm using python 3.3 and so the print function
has changed to requiring parentheses. I can switch to a buffer called
*Python*, however, and =print("hi")= works fine.

If I change to =print(foo(100))=, I get 101 in the #+RESULTS block.

It's probably got something to do with your setup; taking a look at
your config should help others help you out.

Best regards,
John