Re: [O] saving state of buffer

From: 42 147
Subject: Re: [O] saving state of buffer
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 05:05:11 -0400

Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it
applies not just to bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state
after adding Christoph's code to my .emacs). But I should also thank you
for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state").

I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion.

Herzlichen Dank,

42

2013/3/21 Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>

On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 <address@hidden> wrote:

> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)

> works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing
> more, but that's what I need most.

This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to
a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At
least for me.

Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace.  Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it.  This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks.

You can do this with customize, or just like this:

(setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t)))

There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context.

- Carsten