Re: [O] python sessions

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] python sessions
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:38:34 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From participating in evaluating code throughout the discussion and
> > catching the comments throughout, I'd say yes, at least in terms of
> > how other babel languages function. In other words =#+begin_src R
> > :session foo= creates an R session named "foo" whereas doing the same
> > with =python= instead of =R= does not yield a named session.
> >
> > From what others experienced, however, the functionality was working
> > correctly (results were persistent across blocks and two differently
> > names blocks created two different sessions), just not named
> > correctly.
> >

> See the cond form starting at line 169 in ob-python.el.  Different
> session functionality is used based on the `org-babel-python-mode'
> variable, and on the version of Emacs in use (prior to 24.1 or not).
>
> The branch taken when `org-babel-python-mode' equals 'python is
> certainly broken, as it never saves the name of the newly created
> buffer, so session re-use and use of multiple named sessions probably
> works only when `org-babel-python-mode' equals 'python-mode.

That's me: org-babel-python-mode's value is python, so it's no wonder
it's broken given what Eric says. I'm on emacs 24.3.50 where there is
python.el but no python-mode.el. I tried the "cheap" workaround of
switching the value to python-mode, but that does a (require
'python-mode) somewhere, so that option is out as well.

Thanks,
Nick