Re: [O] python sessions

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] python sessions
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:43:09 -0600

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Ista Zahn <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It sounds like we have the same setup, and the following un-named
>>> session example does not work for me.  The first code block evaluates
>>> successfully, but it doesn't appear to be having any impact on the
>>> default session (e.g., in the *Python* buffer).
>>>
>>>     Returns the value of x as expected.
>>>
>>>     #+begin_src python :session
>>>       x = 1
>>>       return x
>>>     #+end_src
>>>
>>>     #+RESULTS:
>>>     : 1
>>>
>>>     #+begin_src python :session
>>>       return x
>>>     #+end_src
>>>
>>>     #+RESULTS:
>>>
>>> The second code block /should/ have access to the x variable defined
>>> previous, but instead it throws an error because x is undefined.
>>>
>>> Currently I'd say session support for python is completely broken.
>>
>> As of this morning I've joined the "it does not work" crowd. Python
>> sessions worked for me last week, but are now completely broken for me
>> in the way Eric and others describe.
>
> Interesting... checked out back to that commit
> (eff59a15d76647ce8282626b9eb463dc3706d56e) and it still doesn't work.
> On a whim, I checked my pacman log (Arch's install system) and
> coincidentally on Mar 20 /after/ I wrote that post in which things
> work, I ran a system package update.
>
> $ grep -i emacs /var/log/pacman.log
>
> [2013-03-20 12:51] upgraded emacs (24.2-4 -> 24.3-1)
>
> Using the Arch Rollback Machine, I downloaded Emacs 24.2.4 and
> downgraded (also required downgrading imageMagick from 6.8.3.10 ->
> 6.8.2.3). Now it works again (refer to the reproducible example from
> the mailing list post):
> - http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg68238.html
>
> Eric, your example fails for me. I get:

Yes, because my example only works in external (non session) execution
with the current buggy code, where as your example works with session
execution in the old working code.

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
> SyntaxError: 'return' outside function
>
> This works, hoever:
>
> #+begin_src python :session
>       x = 1
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 1
>
> #+begin_src python :session
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 1
>
> So, with emacs 24.2.4 and current Org-mode (pulled just now) and clean
> make, *both* named and un-named sessions work for me on Arch Linux.

Aha! Thanks for sleuthing this out.  So the problem lies in changes to
the python.el distributed with Emacs.  I don't suppose we can ask
whoever made these changes to python.el to fix the breakage they've
caused in Org-mode?

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte