Re: [O] :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: in new exporter possible?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: in new exporter possible?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:39:15 +0100

Am 25.03.2013 17:57, schrieb Bastien:
Can you evaluate my patch against the current state of affair?

The current state of affairs is this:

1. Gnus is doing something it shouldn't do, even though it may once have been OK or at least not dangerous.

2. Org doesn't have something that can directly be used in Gnus instead.

The first one's a bug in Gnus, not Org. The second would be an enhancement to Org that might be useful in other places as well, independently of the issue with Gnus.

Evaluating it against your ideal fix will obvisouly make it look
rudimentary.  But I think it's better than the current situation.

Both solutions rely on Gnus fixing their bug, so we might just as well wait until Gnus has done it. Depending on which way Gnus does this, we may be talking different implementations of the second point above. But given that Gnus expects to use a major mode with no setup, why not give them this:

(define-derived-mode org-safe-mode org-mode "Org-Safe"
;; docstring etc.
)

and then conditionalize on the value of mode-name instead of an extra variable that they should bind? This would also help to later add more "safe" functionality without changing things again and again in Org, Gnus or elsewhere. For example, not running source blocks (we already have a way of doing that for export, so it shouldn't be hard to add this).

I'm not arguing against your fix, I'd just prefer we'd start with something we just need to extend into a proper safe-mode instead of having to start again from scratch after hot-fixing this unfortunate interaction with Gnus (and I still don't know how Gnus gets there, anyway).

Regards,
--
Achim.

(on the road :-)