Re: [O] Fwd: run python from org, draft

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: run python from org, draft
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:23:35 -0600

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Weird. With all the testing we did last week, I'm surprised that this is
>> > the case with me as well. I'm also getting no results with Org 8.0-pre
>> and
>> > Emacs 24.3.1.
>> >

>> Because of quirks of the python language, when executing outside of a
>> session, it is necessary to explicitly specify a return.
>>
>> For example.
>>
>>     #+begin_src python
>>       return 1+2
>>     #+end_src
>>
>>     #+RESULTS:
>>     : 3
>>
>> or
>>
>>     #+begin_src python :return x
>>       x = 1+2
>>     #+end_src
>>
>>     #+RESULTS:
>>     : 3
>>
>> This is clearly stated in the Python documentation on Worg.
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-python.html
>>

> This isn't working for me on Org-8.0 (from that Worg page):
>
> #+begin_src python :session
> def foo(x):
>   if x>0:
>     return x+1
>   else:
>     return x-1
>
> foo(1)
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : None

As we've proven a couple of times now, Python session are broken with
the newest version of Emacs (since the upstream change to an entirely
new python.el implementation).  That is the cause of your example above.

> I tend to agree. I don't/haven't used Python, but having now read the
> ob-doc-python bit, it seems peculiar/undesirable to have to change
> indenting, line breaking, and return statements depending on :session or
> not...

I'd refer you to the previous discussion on the mailing list.  I
personally don't use Python and don't care, but others who have used
Python more extensively than you or I argued for the existing behavior,
so I'd rather not change it back capriciously.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte