Re: [O] org-check.org confusion

From: Loyall, David
Subject: Re: [O] org-check.org confusion
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:15:21 +0000

Well, to access the documentation about this:
        M-: (info "(emacs)Interlocking") <RET>

...This tells us that the file you saw in the directory is a lock.

The solution is to remove the lock, then try again.

But how do I, also an Emacs newbie, know that?  Well, lock files aren't
peculiar to Emacs.  Have a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking#Lock_files

:)

How do you remove the lock?  Well, first close all your Emacs buffers (on any
machine, anywhere) that are pointed at the org-check.org file.  Then see if the
lock file is still there.  If it's there, and you're not editing the file in an
Emacs buffer, than the lock is stale.  Manually delete it.  (Alternatively,
Emacs has some user interface for doing this.  It is described in that info
page ^^^.)

Incidentally, the #org-check.org# file is some sort of automatically saved
backup.

Hope this helps,
--Dave

p.s. I have no idea what org-check.org is, but I presume that some org process
normally writes to it, and in your case, it respected the lock, but didn't
prompt you, or it did prompt you and you gave some answer other than "steal the
lock".

---------