Re: [O] Latex export of tables

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: Re: [O] Latex export of tables
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:26:19 +0530

> > I am using org-mode version 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-247-gbc3ccd @
> > /home/vikas/lisp/org-mode/lisp/).
> >
> > I have a table generated by a source block in a document that I would
> > like to export to latex. In the exported tex file, I would like org to
> > insert a line like the following between \end(tabular} and \end{table}
> >
> > \begin{minipage}{\textwidth} \tiny Note: Some descriptive text here.
> > \end{minipage}
>
> I do not think this is possible.  You have to realise that Org does not
> aim to support everything you can do with a backend natively.  One of
> the primary reasons for that is the backend agnostic abstraction
> provided by Org.

I have seen some way of doing things like this. See section 13.3 at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html

I can't get it to work though. Will keep trying.

> When in need of specific needs like this, I resort to writing LaTeX
> natively.

I guess one thing about org-mode is that it is addictive. Afterall, if
it is something to do with manipulating text, it ought to be possible
:)

There is also a reason for not doing it natively in latex even if the
org-mode solution is somewhat round-about. I am writing a research
paper using orgmode, with embedded R source blocks in it. I do not
mind embedding some latex source block into it but I would not like to
edit an exported latex file. After all, in the end, the objective is
to be able to have an org file which produces a full paper when exported.

Vikas