Re: [O] how to best make characters invisible in a org-derived mode

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [O] how to best make characters invisible in a org-derived mode
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 07:49:27 +0200

Am 02.05.2013 00:58, schrieb Christian Wittern:
Hi Andreas, Hi John

Thank both of you for trying to get me on track.

On 2013-05-01 16:43, Andreas Röhler wrote:
maybe have a look how

ar-hide-bracketed-in-line-atpt

for example is implemented.
I can't actually find this function, but I get the general point from the files
in Emacs Werkstatt.

What tripped me up originally that simply setting a region to 'invisible worked
in fundamental mode, but not in org-mode.

I found the solution after I finally understood what
(info "(elisp) Invisible Text")
was trying to tell me:
- first set the desired region(s) to an arbitrary symbol, like my-symbol:
      (overlay-put (make-overlay beginning end)   'invisible 'my-symbol)
- next add this symbol to 'invisibility' spec :
      (add-to-invisibility-spec 'my-symbol)

After straighting this out I am now a happy camper, enjoying my uncluttered
display.

All the best,

Christian

ar-hide-bracketed-in-line-atpt seems vanished indeed, something got broken.
Thanks pointing at.

Andreas