Re: [O] latex export of words starting with a superscript

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] latex export of words starting with a superscript
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 23:37:40 +0200

Dnia 2013-05-06, o godz. 15:22:47
Brian <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> Dear list,
> this is my first time posting here so: thanks for all the work on
> org-mode! I like the new changes (although the new variable names
> were a pain).
> This is either a feature request, a complaint or a demonstration of
> my lack of knowledge of org-mode.

Hi,

I'd rather say that it's a demonstration of the slope of LaTeX learning
curve;).  TeX really is not supposed to handle formulae *starting* with
^ or _ (well, it works, since TeX - AFAIR - puts an implicit {} before
them, but this is not very usual in maths).  What & and _ are meant for
is *maths*, not *chemistry*. Try putting "chemistry" into the search
form at http://www.ctan.org/search - there are quite a few packages for
typesetting chemical formulae. (In fact, your problem is not the only
one with typesetting chemistry in TeX; positioning of
\(super\|sub\)scripts is also by default suitable for mathematics and
not chemistry!)

Then, you would (I guess) include some simple TeX markup in your Org
file and \usepackage something in the preamble.

In a pinch, try \null instead of a \space as a prefix.

hth

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University