Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table

From: Roland Donat
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 19:44:16 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Dokos <ndokos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler <at> easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
> > Am 07.05.2013 20:18, schrieb Eric Schulte:
> >> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler <at> easy-emacs.de> writes:
> >> Maybe Python simply needs to be convinced to print in utf-8 format?
> >
> > Get the wrong results with a Ipython0.12, but correct with Python3.2.3
and Python3.3 - all called from Emacs24.3

> unicode handling is one of the big changes between Python 2.x and Python
> 3.x. It's good to know that Python 3.x seems to make it trivial to
> handle unicode correctly (although there might still be dragons there).
>
> Here are some links:
>
>   http://docs.python.org/2/howto/unicode.html
>   http://docs.python.org/3/howto/unicode.html
>
> that might shed some light.

Thank you very much for your answers!!!

Well, I read that Python 3.x has improved the encoding handling but for now
I have to keep using 2.7.x Python version.

Using Python outside of org-mode is not a problem to manage encoding
correctly. In general, you can use encode/decode <str> methods to get what
you want. Then, using the print function turns the coded character into
human readable ones.

But, what is hurting my poor little neurone is the fact that I don't
understand why I get the correct result when the evaluation returns a single
value and a wrong answer with a table.

I think I have to understand how org-babel builds a table from a Python list
of lists but I have to confess that I'm afraid of reading Lisp programs,
though Emacs is my best friend ;)...

Well, I'll keep on investigating on that subject

Thanks again for your help!

Roland.