Re: [O] Agenda in MobileOrg for Android

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda in MobileOrg for Android
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 03:55:33 +0200

Dnia 2013-04-08, o godz. 11:28:47
Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> napisał(a):

> Dnia 2013-04-08, o godz. 06:52:02
> James Harkins <address@hidden> napisał(a):
>
> > As it happens, one of the lead developers of mobileorg started a
> > thread on the MobileOrg-Android mailing list asking for issues that
> > need to be addressed, and features that are needed, before it's
> > ready for 1.0.
>
> Well, I didn't know about the existence of that list;).

OK, so I'm reviving this old thread.

I tried to set up MobileOrg again and failed completely - again.  Sorry
for my post being a bit harsh, but I'm really frustrated with this
situation, especially that I hear people claiming it works for them...

1. I am still not convinced about the pros of all the "sync" stuff (as
opposed to relying on e.g. Dropbox to sync the files), since it just
Doesn't Work For Me, period. I try to edit something on my phone
("capture"), I can see my edits there, I click the "sync" icon on the
phone, wait for Dropbox on my computer to catch up, see the relevant
entry in my mobileorg.org file, then do an org-mobile-pull, and it just
doesn't work: my captured item doesn't appear *anywhere* (I grepped all
my org directory as well as the Dropbox sync directory), though it
claimed "0 new, 1 edits, 0 flags, 0 errors" (once it was "1 error",
don't know why). Pushing seems to work (most of the time - sometimes I
had to "reset the database" on the phone).

For the record: I have Org-mode 7.8.02 and these MobileOrg-related
settings in my .emacs:

(setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/org/mobileorg-inbox.org")

I also have some tags-related settings, but I guess they don't matter
in the situation where capturing (even without tags) doesn't work at
all.

2. Maybe I'm strange, but the UI seems to be really, really terrible
to me; but I can see no point describing the exact meaning of
"terrible" here (I have a clear understanding of what I dislike and
what I would like) since at my side, MobileOrg is just a poor UI without
a working app beneath anyway.  When it starts working for me, I'll be
happy to write an email about what I perceive are UI problems.

> > I find that creating new nodes and minor editing of existing ones is
> > not at all inconvenient. I don't see a big issue for the workflows
> > that Marcin subsequently identified as being critical for this kind
> > of app. They're already there.

As I've written above - for me, basically there's almost *nothing*
there (without capture, MobileOrg doesn't make much sense to me).
Still, I don't want to leave a one-star review, but... it just doesn't
work and I have no idea why.  (Also, subscribing to the mailing list
was nontrivial using a non-google account - it might be a good idea
to explain how to do that somewhere in the docs.)

> > hjh

I'm still hoping that I *will* be able to use MobileOrg some
day...  For now, it looks like a complete crap from my side, though I
can't believe it is the case - it must be something wrong with my setup
(or maybe my phone - I have a Samsung Galaxy Mini 2), since obviously it
seems to work for other people.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski