Re: [O] unexpected appearance of x^2 in pdf file

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] unexpected appearance of x^2 in pdf file
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 15:07:04 +0200

Hello,

Paul Stansell <address@hidden> writes:

> I've also come across a couple of other unexpected results exporting
> other latex equations to pdf.  Examples are given in the attached org
> file.  Both are quite trivial with easy work-arounds.  In both cases,
> because the embedded png equations (displayed by C-c C-x C-l) are
> formatted correctly, the problem in the exported pdf file might go
> unnoticed.

> \[ x = y
>          +1 \]
>
> \[ x = y
>          + 1 \]

This is to be expected. In the second case, the second line defines
a list item, which has precedence over any LaTeX snippet.

> \[ x = \begin{array}{cc}
>       y & u \\
>       z & v
> \end{array} \]
>
> \[ x =
>    \begin{array}{cc}
>       y & u \\
>       z & v
>    \end{array} \]

I think this is because of a limitation on the number of lines a LaTeX
snippet can span across (IIRC, 3 is the maximum).

In both cases, I suggest to use LaTeX environments instead:

  \begin{equation*}
  x = y
  + 1
  \end{equation*}