Re: [O] org-store-link calls external link type store functions twice?

From: Robert Adesam
Subject: Re: [O] org-store-link calls external link type store functions twice?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:04:52 +0200

Hi,

I made a small example where I added an external link type, "counter"
that always works and updates a counter. It is quite crude but shows
my point:

(org-add-link-type "counter" 'ra/org-counter-open)
(add-hook 'org-store-link-functions 'ra/org-counter-store-link)

(defun ra/org-counter-store-link ()
  "Store a dummy counter link."
  (if (boundp 'counter)
      (setq counter (1+ counter))
    (setq counter 1))
  (let* ((link (concat "counter:" (number-to-string counter)))
         (desc (format "Calls to ra/org-counter-store-link: %d" counter)))
    (org-store-link-props
     :type "counter"
     :link link
     :description desc)))

(defun ra/org-counter-open (path)
  "Print and reset the counter."
  (message (format "Calls to ra/org-counter-store-link: %d. Resetting
counter." counter))
  (makunbound 'counter))

Running org-capture with the above external link type will result in
counter to be set to 2 before inserting the link in the *Capture*
buffer. I have also tried the example "A.3 Adding hyperlinks types" in
the manual -- same result when debugging org-man-store-link.

In the definition of org-store-link the interesting part is paste
below. I have marked the calls to external link types store function,
ie ra/org-counter-store-link above.

; Store a link using an external link type
((and (not (equal arg '(16)))
      (setq sfuns
            (delq
             nil (mapcar (lambda (f)
                           (let (fs) (if (funcall f) (push f fs)))) ;;; <--
first call to
ra/org-counter-store-link
                         org-store-link-functions))
            sfunsn (mapcar (lambda (fu) (symbol-name (car fu))) sfuns))
      (or (and (cdr sfuns)
               (funcall (intern
                         (completing-read
                          "Which function for creating the link? "
                          sfunsn t (car sfunsn)))))
          (funcall (caar sfuns))) ;;; <-- second call to
ra/org-counter-store-link
      (setq link (plist-get org-store-link-plist :link)
            desc (or (plist-get org-store-link-plist
                                :description) link))))

This "problem" only shows up in version 8 of org-mode, not version 7.
Please let me know if I can provide you with even more information.

Thanks for listening,
/robert