[O] How to install latest Org-mode?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: [O] How to install latest Org-mode?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:52:20 +0200

Hi list,

I'd like to install the new Org-mode (version 8).  I'm wondering what
method is the best for me.  I have Emacs 23 (Ubuntu 12.04), but I plan
to (1) upgrade to the newest Ubuntu 13.04 soon and (2) upgrade to Emacs
24 soon (I'll probably uninstall Ubuntu's Emacs and install my own,
though rather not from sources, but from a .deb package).

So, my requirements would be:

* I'd prefer the installed Org to survive the upgrades of Ubuntu and
  Emacs (of course, I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu's Org-mode 7.8.02).

* I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
  hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
  upgrade later.

I'm leaning towards cloning the git repo and building Org-mode from
sources.  From http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html I can see
that what I should do is more or less

cd ~/src/
git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
make autoloads
echo (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp") >> ~/.emacs
make
make doc
make config
make install

Is that right?  Is using the archive or the package system a better
idea in my described case?  What does upgrading Org-from-git-repo look
like?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski