Re: [O] How to install latest Org-mode?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] How to install latest Org-mode?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 20:52:06 +0200

Marcin Borkowski writes:
> * I'd like the install method to be relatively quick - less than an
>   hour, say, and I'd prefer my Org-mode to be relatively easy to
>   upgrade later.

I'd suggest using ELPA, but if you rather want to go the Git route, read
on.

> I'm leaning towards cloning the git repo and building Org-mode from
> sources.  From http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html I can see
> that what I should do is more or less
>
> cd ~/src/
> git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> make autoloads
> echo (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp") >> ~/.emacs
> make
> make doc
> make config
> make install
>
> Is that right?

No. The most painless setup would be:

$ cd ~/src/
$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
$ git checkout maint
$ make config

Check if the installation paths are pointing to where you want them (it
should work out-of-the box, but Debian based systems might prefer to
have some stuff in different directories), maybe adapt them in local.mk
and edit ~/.emacs to require org-loaddefs.  From then on always do

$ make up2

to pull the latest version, compile and test it and only install if the
test is good.

> Is using the archive or the package system a better
> idea in my described case?  What does upgrading Org-from-git-repo look
> like?

See above.

Regards,
Achim.