Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 19:49:54 +0800

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 5/15/13, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I still think it's pretty important to have an option for creating a new
>> headline *below* all the contents of the current subtree -- what C-RET
>> used to do.
>
> This might be a good thing to make a user preference.
>
>> Also, the above provides a whole lot of options for creating a new
>> headline/item above the current line -- is that really such a common
>> thing to do?
>
> It is for me.
>
>> And the variable `org-M-RET-may-split-line' is still not taken into
>> account...
>
> I don't see why it shouldn't be taken into account.

You're right, I guess I just meant it wasn't explicit in your table.

I like the use of double M-RETs, I think that can be useful.

I still think C-RET should create a new heading at the end of the
subtree. A user setting to that effect is fine with me. I'd be happy
if C-RET at the beginning of a heading created a new headline above, but
in the middle or at the end I think it should still jump down and make a
new headline below all content.

Just to register my usage, as a single data point: I make heavy use of
both M-RET to create headings below point (very often to split a single
run of paragraphs into two subtrees), and C-RET to make headings below
subtree text. Very occasionally I use C-u C-u M-RET to make a "bottom
sibling". Very occasionally I use 'C-c *' to toggle heading.

Just two cents.