Re: [O] Best way to make/add tech diagrams/graphics?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Best way to make/add tech diagrams/graphics?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:17:22 -0500

Lawrence,

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:13:56AM -0500, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I'd like to embed images into my running org file -- for eventual
> conversion to Latex or html. These would be simple diagram-style pictures
> such as math or technical diagrams that cannot be done with gnuplot or
> other formula-to-picture conversion software.
>
> Examples:
> http://www.library.utoronto.ca/see/SEED/Vol5-1/Queiroz_Emmeche_El-Hani_files/image003.gif
> http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/irvine/SBGN_process_description_cropped.jpg
>
> I know emacs can draw some things, but I'd probably need better renditions.
> So how does emacs/org handle such images and what sort of software (I'm on
> Ubuntu) is available for making such drawings and diagrams? What about
> software like "Processing"? Having Processing code embedded that then
> produced images would be great.

I routinely put diagrams in my technical documentation. I prefer to
create PDF files (ie: from Visio) and include them with Latex's
includepdf package, or inline with PNG images.

I must say however when I draw diagrams I use yEd, which is incredibly
powerful and auto-formatting. These diagrams can be exported to PDF
and put in Org easily.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden