Re: [O] Error with \usepackage{amsmath} due to \iint already being defin

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Error with \usepackage{amsmath} due to \iint already being defined
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:01:06 +0200

Dnia 2013-05-24, o godz. 14:38:42
Nick Dokos <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Vincent Beffara
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> Just put this in the LaTeX header before you load amsmath:
> >>
> >> \usepackage{savesym}
> >> \savesymbol{iint}
> >> \savesymbol{iiint}
> >>

> > Does this savewasysym's definition if iint instead of amsmath's? In
> > the case that I actually use \iint (super unlikely, but not
> > impossible), which package's is preferred?
> >

> The wasysym docs say that there should be no conflict, but that seems
> to be wrong: ISTR multiple instances of this conflict.
>
> If you prefer the amsmath integral signs over the wasysym ones, then
> probably the best thing to do is to load wasysym with the
> ``nointegrals'' option:
>
>    \usepackage[nointegrals]{wasysym}
>
> This can be done permanently by customizing
> org-latex-default-packages-alist and adding the option to the wasysym
> entry.

Nick: good to know about org-latex-default-packages-alist!

Carsten/Bastien (I forward to both of you, since I don't know who is
to gitblame for that:P): looking at its docstring, I guess there are
two minor bugs here: first, it is not technically an alist, but a
"normal" list, second, apparently the docstring doesn't mention that an
element of this list might be a string (inserted then verbatim into
preamble) and not a list.

Also, taking into account the number of problems with wasysym's
conflicts, I'd suggest dropping it (and maybe several other packages)
from it.

Further, this seems to be a bit of work - I can't promise
anything /now/ - but I'll try to look into it and check which package
is needed for which entity; loading a big package for a few commands
might be an overkill.  Would it be possible for the LaTeX exporter to
include some packages only if they are really needed, i.e., if some
entity is actually used in the document?  This would both speed up
compilation time and (maybe more importantly) reduce the risk of such
conflicts. (Not to mention the inelegance of a large preamble
consisting of loading unnecessary packages - as a person responsible
for converting LaTeX files sent to a journal by people into something
usable/compilable/good-looking, I can say that one of the first things
I usually do is to delete /all \usepackage's/ from the preamble, and
see if it compiles correctly.  In more than 50% cases, it does...

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University