Re: [O] [OT] Gnus mail tutorial?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Gnus mail tutorial?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 00:43:19 -0600

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On May 24, 2013 6:01 PM, "Marcin Borkowski" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> sorry for an off-topic question, but I'm sure someone here will be
>> able to help me with this: I'm thinking about using Emacs as my email
>> client, and I'm considering using Gnus for that.  The Gnus manual is a
>> bit intimidating; is there any newbie-friendly tutorial which might help
>> get me started, taking into account that I do /not/ want to use Gmail,
>> but another (IMAP-aware) mail service?
>>

> Seconded. I tried following the tutorials that *do* exist once and just
> gave up. Something tried and known to work and be complete would be
> awesome. and I know there's a lot of gnus users on the list :)

I know the OP explicitly does not want to use gmail, however this gmail
solution is *very* concise and should be easily adapted to work with a
non-gmail imap service.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail#toc2

Just replace the gmail urls and ports with those of the service you want
to use.  Also, note that in blocks like the following

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
                                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                      (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                      (nnimap-stream ssl)))

in the 'nnimap "gmail"' portion the "gmail" is just a name, not
something special, and it can be replaced with any arbitrary string.

The starter-kit-gnus page of my starter kit may be helpful, however, it
doesn't provide much new information beyond that available at the
previous emacs wiki page.

http://eschulte.github.io/emacs24-starter-kit/starter-kit-gnus.html
https://raw.github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit/master/starter-kit-gnus.org

Hope this helps,