Re: [O] [OT] Gnus mail tutorial?

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Gnus mail tutorial?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 08:09:47 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> sorry for an off-topic question, but I'm sure someone here will be
> able to help me with this: I'm thinking about using Emacs as my email
> client, and I'm considering using Gnus for that.  The Gnus manual is a
> bit intimidating; is there any newbie-friendly tutorial which might
> help get me started, taking into account that I do /not/ want to use
> Gmail, but another (IMAP-aware) mail service?

Hi Marcin,

For me Gnus is the gold standard among mail/news clients.  It can be hard
work to set it up but it is worth it.  Alas, some good resources have
actually vanished from the web over  the years.

Sacha Chua describes a very basic set up for IMAP here:

http://sachachua.com/blog/2008/05/geek-how-to-use-offlineimap-and-the-dovecot-mail-server-to-read-your-gmail-in-emacs-efficiently/

If you are not running /Sendmail/Postfix/Exim etc you may find this page
helpful

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SendingMail

There are of course several Gnus mailing lists/newsgroups.

Good luck!

Glyn