Re: [O] Bug in org-table-convert-region?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Bug in org-table-convert-region?
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:03:33 +0200

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden>
writes:

Hi Sebastien,

[...]
>> From the comment-string:
>>
>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | (org-table-convert-region BEG0 END0 &optional SEPARATOR)
>> |
>> | Convert region to a table.[...]
>> | SEPARATOR specifies the field separator in the lines.  It can have the
>> | following values:
>> |
>> | '(4)     Use the comma as a field separator
>> | '(16)    Use a TAB as field separator
>> | integer  When a number, use that many spaces as field separator
>> | nil      When nil, the command tries to be smart and figure out the
>> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Looks like a bug in the argument handling?
>
> I don't have an answer, but one extra question (which popped up when reading
> your analysis): how does Emacs see the difference between `C-u' and `C-u 4'?
>
> That is, how to differentiate "Use the comma as a field separator" from "Use
> 4 spaces as field separator"?

The answer is here:

>> and from the elisp manual:
>>
>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | Here are the results of calling display-prefix with various raw prefix
>> | arguments:
>> |
>> |      C-u     M-x display-prefix  -| (4)
>> |
>> |      C-u C-u M-x display-prefix  -| (16)
>> |
>> |      C-u 3   M-x display-prefix  -| 3
>> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and in the (interactive "rP") specification:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ‘P’
|
|     The raw prefix argument. (Note that this ‘P’ is upper case.) No I/O.
|
| ‘r’
|
|     Point and the mark, as two numeric arguments, smallest first. This
|     is the only code letter that specifies two successive arguments
|     rather than one. No I/O.
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thus

,---------------------------------------------------------
| (org-table-convert-region BEG0 END0 &optional SEPARATOR)
`---------------------------------------------------------

with C-u M-x org-table-convert-region should be e.g.

,----------------------------------------
| (org-table-convert-region 38  456 '(4))
`----------------------------------------

and C-u 3 M-x org-table-convert-region should be

,----------------------------------------
| (org-table-convert-region 38  456 3)
`----------------------------------------

but I checked with edebug, its actually

| (org-table-convert-region 38  456 nil)

and "When nil, the command tries to be smart and figure out [itself]"

So the problem seems to be that 'C-u 3' doesn't work as expected in my
case. Could you check if it works for you?

--
cheers,
Thorsten