Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel, python, encoding and table
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:00:18 -0400

> To remind and illustrate the problem, here is an example :
> #+name: pytab-test
> #+begin_src python :results value :session :preamble # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> :return a
> a = ( ( "é", "a" ), ( "a", "à" ) )
> #+end_src
>
> #+TBLNAME: pytab-test
> | \303\251 | a        |
> | a        | \303\240 |
>

> I have then two problems :
> 1. The characters are not well displayed in the buffer
> 2. If I try to save the buffer, emacs doesn't recognize the encoding and
> tells me that "utf-8-unix cannot encode these: \303 \251 [...]
>
> So I decided to inspect what happened during the Python session...
> Basically, Org-babel just write the str conversion of my tuple ( ( "é", "a"
> ), ( "a", "à" ) ) (that appears (('\xc3\xa9',
> 'a'), ('a', '\xc3\xa0')) in the python interpreter) in a temporary file.
>
> Then looking in this temporary file, I see that the strange characters
> are written directly \xc3, \xa9, etc.
>
> Consequently, my guess is that org-babel has maybe some difficulties
> to deal with these characters while reading the temporary file before
> displaying the results in the buffer.
>
> Unfortunately, this is just a guess and even less a solution... But am I on
> relevant lead???

This does seem to be in the right direction.  This is similar to my
diagnosis of the non-session case [1].  If the python process prints
weird hex character values (e.g., '\xc3\xa0') instead of utf8 characters
(e.g., "à"), then Babel will insert the hex values into the buffer.

As I recall switching to python3 solved this problem?

For the session case, it may be possible to fix this by changing the
python code in the `org-babel-python-evaluate-session' function around
line 300 in ob-python.el.

Cheers,

> Thanks in advance for any help...
>
> Roland.