Re: [O] [RFC] Extend :float attribute to src blocks and normalize syntax

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Extend :float attribute to src blocks and normalize syntax
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:47:34 -0400

> The following patch extends :float attribute to src blocks (so they are
> on par with tables and images). It also slightly changes syntax for this
> attribute:
>
>   |        | Old           | New      |
>   |--------+---------------+----------|
>   | Tables | :float table  | :float t |
>   | Images | :float figure | :float t |
>
> With this patch :float attribute also accepts a nil value in all cases,
> preventing any floating mechanism, even if a caption is provided. In
> particular, it replaces :long-listing attribute for src blocks:
>
>   |            | Old             | New        |
>   |------------+-----------------+------------|
>   | Src blocks | :long-listing t | :float nil |
>
> Overall, it makes :float syntax a bit more regular, but it implies some
> gotchas.
>
> WDYT?

Is a binary value for :float enough? I thought (maybe incorrectly)
that the value of :float would determine (at least for latex export)
the floating environment for the table, giving one the option to use
longtable or sidewaystable e.g. Is that the case? If so, how would you
handle it in the new regime?

--
Nick