Re: [O] default face org-column

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] default face org-column
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 08:17:41 +0200

On 30.5.2013, at 04:43, Xiao-Yong Jin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

In org-faces.el,

(when (fboundp 'set-face-attribute)
  ;; Make sure that a fixed-width face is used when we have a column table.
  (set-face-attribute 'org-column nil
     :height (face-attribute 'default :height)
     :family (face-attribute 'default :family)))

Hi Xiao,

I remember that I struggled with the problem that I had to make sure that column view used a fixed-width face - and this was the solution that worked - not a particular pretty one, admittedly.

Do you have an idea on how to change this code that it will always work?  I'd be very happy to accept a good patch.

- Carsten

I understand why you did this, but it is not quite logical, and somewhat invasive.  First, you certainly do not do this with org-table.  Then why org-column specifically?  Second, it overwrites the the value I set in the emacs theme or custom-set-faces.  Third, the end result is quite bizarre and odd-looking.  The "default" height and "default" family is some how not what I set for the frame, because the font family and size is set when emacs starts up and loaded the org-mode.  When I use set-frame-font or text-scale-adjust, org-column will stick with the old font family and size.  In fact, because the font family for org-column and org-column-title are different, the result is just bad.

I don't think it is only my problem, but I'll describe my setup for themes/font.  I use default-frame-alist to set the font family and sizeThe above code will not pick up this setup.  I use load-theme and enable-theme to load the theme I want.  Sometimes I use set-frame-font or text-scale-adjust to get a pleasantly looking texts temporary.  I usually use fixed-width font, so the above code is not doing any good.

For the time being, I commented out the above code.

Best,
Xiao-Yong