Re: [O] Variable table length

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Variable table length
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:15:14 -0400

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Dnia 2013-06-03, o godz. 16:32:20
> Michael Brand <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):
>
>> Hi Marcin
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Michael Brand
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I would use one row per payback and manually add/remove rows until
>> > the last row is the only one with a different sign for the floating
>> > loan.
>>
>> Forgot to mention that if you don't need all the intermediate steps
>> per payback rate then you can of course simply use the annuity
>> functions from Emacs Calc:
>> (info "(calc) Related Financial Functions")
>> or
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Related-Financial-Functions.html
>
> Thanks, I am aware of that - but what I want is actually a table (I'm
> teaching an introductory course in financial mathematics).

Use babel perhaps? Not sure what your inputs are and what your table
should look like but you could use something like this to produce a
skeleton table of the right length and a set of column formulas (nb:
fake ones used below), then C-C C-c on the #+tblfm: line to calculate
the rest of the table:

#+begin_src sh :results raw :var n=20
echo "#+name: amorttable"
echo "|month | interest | principal | balance |"
for i in $(seq 1 $n)
do
   echo "| $i ||||"
done
echo '#+tblfm: $2 = 2 * $1 :: $3 = 3 * $1 :: $4 = 4 * $1'
#+end_src

Nick