Re: [O] Avoid escaping braces in LaTeX export?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Avoid escaping braces in LaTeX export?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 20:45:48 +0200

Dnia 2013-06-07, o godz. 10:26:31
Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> Here's my use case.  I often create new commands in LaTeX to abstract
> over some common pattern so I can easily type it and change it later
> if necessary.  For example, when taking notes on readings, I have a
> command that makes its argument into an `inline comment' (basically
> an aside to myself) defined as follows:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\ic}[1]{{\footnotesize [~#1~]}}
>
> Then in my notes I have things like:
>
>  Marcus' point is more subtle, though, than that the substitutional
>  reading validates these inferences or theorems while the objectual
>  reading does not.  \ic{This would not persuade Quine, for example:
> the failure of existential generalization in modal contexts is for
> Quine a reason to reject quantified modal logic, rather than give the
>  existential quantifier a different reading.}

Quick and dirty workaround (untested):

#+LATEX_HEADER: \def\ic!#1!{{\footnotesize [~#1~]}}

Marcus' point is more subtle, though, than that the substitutional
reading validates these inferences or theorems while the objectual
reading does not.  \ic!This would not persuade Quine, for example:
the failure of existential generalization in modal contexts is for
Quine a reason to reject quantified modal logic, rather than give the
existential quantifier a different reading.!

Of course, you may do \def\ic(#1){...}, \def\ic~#1~{...} etc.  The
"delimiter" characters may not appear in the argument, though (nesting
is not supported!).

This is very un-LaTeX-y (it is much lower-level TeX syntax), but it is
occasionaly useful (and heavily used by LaTeX itself, btw - this is
used among others for delimiting optional arguments).

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University