Re: [O] [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:48:33 +0000 (UTC)

Rasmus <rasmus <at> gmx.us> writes:

> Rüdiger Sonderfeld <ruediger <at> c-plusplus.de> writes:
>
> > I've started writing BibELTeX as an alternative to =ox-bibtex.el=.
> >
> > https://github.com/ruediger/bibeltex
>
> Would you consider providing a test file showing off its features?

I added a file test/example.org.  Put bibeltex.el somewhere in your load-path
and require it.  This should be enough to make it work (use unload-feature to
remove it again).

You can then export the document to any format you like.  Good test case is
using org-mode export (ox-org.el).

> I'm skeptical but probably it is 'cause I've misunderstood something!
> Someone put a lot of thought into writing e.g. biblatex or
> odt-bibliographies.  Surely(?) we would want to leverage upon those
> and only have org-support insofar as serving some backend-specific
> parser enough information to do its work?

Certainly.  BibELTeX is designed to do this.  For LaTeX export it just
generates the corresponding LaTeX instructions (can be adopted even for
biblatex).

But except for LaTeX there doesn't seem to be a real support for bibliography.
It can be simulated for html using bibtex2html (ox-bibtex.el).  But even that
is not compatible with biber/biblatex.  That's the reason behind BibELTeX.

Regards