Re: [O] link abbreviation with multiple params, e. g. for geo locations

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] link abbreviation with multiple params, e. g. for geo locations
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:13:42 +0200

Hi Eric

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The :session is only to have more than one call which works for
>> emacs-lisp source blocks. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>
> Sessions are not supported in every language.  Shell code blocks do
> *not* support sessions (or rather it looks like someone started to
> implement session support, but never completed it).

Good to know. It is high on my wishlist. I often take notes about
shell and utilities and just a few days ago I planned to improve by
using, well, babel source blocks. Now I know that I have to use some
workaround. What about :var dummy_name?

#+NAME:     unicode_normal_form_c
#+HEADER:   :var dummy_name="workaround to get different result blocks"
#+BEGIN_SRC sh :shebang #!/bin/sh :eval no :exports code
  printf 'a\xcc\x88'                               | od -Ax -tx1
  printf 'a\xcc\x88' | iconv -f UTF-8-MAC -t UTF-8 | od -Ax -tx1
  printf 'a\xcc\x88' | iconv -f UTF-8-MAC -t UTF-8 2>&1 > /dev/null
  echo "(`uname`, `date +%Y-%m-%d`)"
#+END_SRC

- OS X (implementation of iconv by Apple, not e. g. MacPorts):
  #+CALL:    unicode_normal_form_c[:results output verbatim :eval
no-export :exports results](dummy_name="osx")

  #+RESULTS: unicode_normal_form_c[:results output verbatim :eval
no-export :exports results](dummy_name="osx")
  : 0000000    61  cc  88
  : 0000003
  : 0000000    c3  a4
  : 0000002
  : (Darwin, 2013-06-14)

- GNU/Linux:
  #+CALL:    unicode_normal_form_c[:results output verbatim :eval
no-export :exports results](dummy_name="gnu")

  #+RESULTS: unicode_normal_form_c[:results output verbatim :eval
no-export :exports results](dummy_name="gnu")
  : 000000 61 cc 88
  : 000003
  : 000000
  : iconv: conversion from `UTF-8-MAC' is not supported
  : Try `iconv --help' or `iconv --usage' for more information.
  : (Linux, 2013-06-14)

Is there a better workaround or would you accept :var dummy_name for
my ERT that I mentioned?

And how can I break the long lines #+CALL into multiple lines staying
near their individual #+CALL line, when moving header arguments
into #+BEGIN_SRC and its #+HEADERs is not possible for cases where
variety in the values of header arguments between calls or between
call and #+BEGIN_SRC is necessary?

Michael