Re: [O] Classification of Org mode elements

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Classification of Org mode elements
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:08:38 -1000

Aloha Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> The attached Org mode document contains some notes on the classification
>> of Org mode elements that might be a useful addition to Nicolas
>> Goaziou's draft Org syntax document
>> (http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.org).
>>
>> It distinguishes nine classes of element and proposes names for them.
>
> I really like the idea to make Nicolas decisions when modelling Org
> syntax more explicit and write them down as a quick reference overview.

Well, I'm just summarizing Nicolas' draft Org Syntax document.  I don't
think I've made anything more explicit than he does in that fine
document.  I'm glad you like the table.

> I compressed your table a bit to make it fit on a screen/page

Much better, a real improvement.  Thanks!

> , and added
> a subtree for each element to the file that could contain a short
> (man-page like) descripton of syntax and semantics of that element (see
> my attempts for 'Property drawer' as an example). This should not
> compete with the manual or the cheat sheet, but rather serve as a
> minimal overview of the Org 8+ syntax elements.

My idea is to add the table to Nicolas' draft Org Syntax document, and
use the classes as the basis for editing and restructuring the document
a bit. Perhaps your subtrees would fit in, too?

> Right now I don't have the time to fill the other subtrees, but I might
> add to this the next days, maybe others can add to it too and then this
> file can be uploaded to Worg?

Yes, perhaps we could do that if Nicolas doesn't like the changes I have
in mind for the draft Org Syntax document.

Also, I'd like to see the Org Syntax document become an appendix to the
manual. I know some think that it is too developer-ish to be a part of
the manual, but it has helped me see Org Mode documents more clearly and
I think it might benefit others, as well.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye