Re: [O] :session question -- and changes to #+Property: syntax

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] :session question -- and changes to #+Property: syntax
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:41:36 +0200

Hi Eric,

while starting to write up a test document I've found some behaviour
when executing LOB calls that warrant discussion, I think:

1. The properties are evaluated at the site of the definition rather
than the site of the call.  This is simply how org-babel-process-params
works, it jumps to the definition and then executes the source block
there (this may be in another file even).

2. The evaluation of header arguments assumes emacs-lisp as a language.

These two combined make it somewhat difficult to use properties to
control the behaviour of LOB calls and understand what is happening and
why.  A workaround is to beam the source to the place of call via noweb
syntax.  The first point could perhaps be addressed in a cleaner way by
using org-babel-current-src-block-location when calling org-entry-get,
but I'm not sure yet if it is always correctly set.  Another thorny
question is how to deal with another layer of calls that might evaluate
properties again.  A last option would be to introduce another header
argument that can be used to inject the properties into the argument
list of the call and, if set, would suppress any property evaluation in
downstream calls.

For the second, I think that "lob" should be treated as a language for
the purpose of anything *-default-header-args* so these settings can be
independently controlled.

Thoughts, comments?

Regards,
Achim.