Re: [O] [RFC]: Uniform indentation for lists

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC]: Uniform indentation for lists
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:02:02 +0200

Jambunathan K writes:
> When lists are "normalized", the sub-lists are introduced by varying
> amout of spaces depending on the type of the parent list.  It's 3 spaces
> if the parent is numbered and 2 spaces if the parent is bulleted.
>
> 1. One
> 2. Two
>    - Bullet One
>    - Bullet Two
>      1. One
>      2. Two
>
> Oddmuse wiki and possibly Usemod (and even other Wiki engines) do a
> linear scan of text (much like what the old org-html.el used to do) and
> emits HTML by looking at thing at point.  Having the list items
> introduced by varying amout of spaces makes the parser "more" stateful.

I don't think this is ever going to work unless you restrict either the
number of items or the types of enumeration.  But you could easily
normalize on export into those formats by indenting with a number of
tabs corresponding to the indent level.  That would look strange in a
buffer (unless you set the tab-width appropriately), but it would be
parseable more easily.  But Oddmuse is in Perl, so keeping a stack of
indents really isn't a big deal (and I don't think it'd be in other
languages like Python, PHP or Ruby).

Regards,
Achim.